Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1982 ford f100 4.9l i6. Did a tune up plugs cap rotor wires

Customer Question
oil change intake and exhaust...
1982 ford f100 4.9l i6. Did a tune up plugs cap rotor wires oil change intake and exhaust gaskets checked timing gears did compression test, 145 to 150 all cyl. Replaced accelerator pump replaced fuel pump. Checked for vacume leaks. Im ready to throw in the towel. Still sputters badly on acceleration. But once in a while it will clear up and accelerate fine. Help im ready for the truck crusher on this one.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
10/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** you get the bad hesitation mostly when first started in morning or all the time?
All the time. Idles great though. Every once in a while after the sputtering it will just clear up accelerated fine. But once i go back to idle it will sputter again.
You may want to increase the ignition timing by two degrees to improve Accel. This will give you more power.

i recommend you select a phone call so i can guide you through some things that will help with the problem.

Do you have any other questions for me?

No im just waiting for an answer.

I gave one to see if the increase in timing will help. I have had good luck with this. On another note with air cleaner removed grab the carburetor with both hands and twist it back and forth to see if it feels loose? Let me know if it is??

No i dont want to switch to phone call and pay another 26 bucks. And thats your answer to increase timing. Well thanks but thats not wirth the 38 bucks i already payed. Thanks anyway.

Did you check the carburetor for looseness?

The carburetor base gets loose on these 1 barrel carbs and will cause problems like this and may even bind the accelerator pump.

Thats,ok i dont need any more answers from you. If you read my initial question. Youd see i already tried what you are answering me. So thanks,anyway. Oh and,keep the 38 bucks i already paid you. Theres no point in me fighting for a 100 percent guaranttee. To get my money back.

If you want a refund all you need to do is ask customer service for it. I do not get paid my portion of money you paid unless you put in a rating above three stars anyway. i have over 35 years experience with Fords and am willing to help you with problem. I just need your input to help diagnose the problem for you.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61