Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've replaced everything within the brake system except for…

I've replaced everything within...

I've replaced everything within the brake system except for the lines but there is no leaking and I have bleed the brakes and master over and over agen and the brakes work good the tires will lock up but the pedal go's half way down before the brakes will engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

?

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

I'm asking about the brakes not tires.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

01 ford escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I've replaced the brake booster master and calipers

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've bleed the breaks over and over and still the same problem

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Did you bleed the master cylinder first before the wheels and in what sequence did you bleed the wheels?

Does this have anti-lock brakes?

it don't have abs breaks yes I did blead the master then went to the FL,FR,RL,RR

Bleed master cylinder first, followed in sequence by rear wheel cylinders, anti-lock system components (if equipped) and calipers. See BLEEDING SEQUENCE table.

All (Except Models With ABS)RR, LR, RF, LF

ABS ModelsRR, LR, (1), RF, LF

(1) Bleed hydraulic control unit. See appropriate Anti-Lock article.

It is necessary to use New Generation Star (NGS) tester to properly bleed ABS hydraulic system. Other scan tools may be used, but may have limited functions.

1. This procedure is used to bleed Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU). Connect New Generation Star (NGS) Tester (077-00500) to Data Link Connector (DLC). Enter vehicle identification information. Ensure master cylinder reservoir is full and remains full during this procedure. Use DOT 3 brake fluid. Turn ignition to START position (engine running).
  2. Choose DIAGNOSTIC DATA LINK from menu selection. Next, choose ABS MODULE, then FUNCTION TEST. Prepare to bleed right rear bleeder. Depress and hold brake pedal to half of its travel. Select SYSTEM BLEED FUNCTION and depress trigger of NGS. Bleed until clear, bubble-free fluid flows. Repeat procedure for left rear, right front and left front bleeders. Follow scan tool instructions until SYSTEM BLEED PROCEDURE COMPLETE message is displayed.

Ok, you followed the wrong sequence.

It's RR, LR, RF, LF

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

I will leave this paig open and as soon as I'm done doing what you said yes I will do so.

Ok, sounds good.

should I have the care runing during the process or does that matter?

Engine of, just pump the brake pedal up 10 times with engine off to deplete the booster before bleeding.

That should have read engine off not of.

Did you get that done?

Did it help?

I'm on the last one give me like 15 min and I will let you know sorry it tuck awhile for the helper to get here hahaha

no problem, it's raining here so I am stuck indoors.

well I finished them up and still the same thing it's not that the brakes a squishy there is no leaks I have no loss of brake pedal or anything like that it's just that the pedal go's down 50% of the way before it starts to work I even bleed the master calendar agen before I bleed all the brakes from farthest to closest.
I'm stumped I've worked on alot of breaks before this is the first car I've ever had a problem with.
new brake boster calender and calipers.
calipers not calender.

is this rear drum brakes?

Adjusting up the rear brake shoes will help raise the brake pedal, try that.

you can do that by just pulling the emergency brake or do I have to do it by turning it inside the drum?

Adjust them both until when you spin the tire/wheel by hand real hard, it only spins like 3/4-1 turn before it stops.

One second, I'll look it up.

ok

Here it is and oddly enough, I also see a BRAKE PEDAL FREE PLAY ADJUSTMENT. I would adjust the shoes even if you have to adjust the brake pedal free play cause the shoes should adjusted, so they apply quickly.

ok so when it says clevis nut is it referring to the brake booster behind the pedal?
I'm about to open the drums and tighten them as well.

I believe they mean under the dash where the brake pedal is.

clevis nut on brake pedal push rod, under the dash

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
ok I'm sheer the drums is what it is because the rear tires will spin for days when it's up in the air.
thankyou for your help.

You welcome and thank you.