Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replace fuel pump starts then stops. I replace. 1999 f150.

Customer Question
Replace fuel pump starts...

Replace fuel pump starts then stops

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I replace

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1999 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this going to cost me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

There is a fee to get help here and you signed up for a monthly subscription plan. Do you wish to continue?

My truck died on the highway had it towed home i replaced fuel pump it started up then died replaced fuel filter what next
It costs to much to call it to do it this way

What liter engine?

With a fuel pressure gauge connected to the injector rail, what pressure do you get when the key is turned to the run position?

45 pounds

What liter engine?

4.2

Thanks,

While cranking does it make any attempt to start?

Do you know how to check ignition spark and injector pulse?

Its starts runs a few seconds then dieds and will start right back up and dieds
There is spark

Thanks, ***** ***** monitor the pressure through the start and stall and tell me the lowest reading you get and when exactly you get that low reading?

I assume you cannot keep it running with throttle applied?

No will not runbut a few seconds even with tthrottle
The 45 was fuel pressure with key on

Okay so we have determined it is not the fuel pressure causing it to stall and it obviously is getting spark and pulse being it runs brief. Do you know if there are codes stored?

MAF sensor unplugged do you get the same results?

No codes the same with MAF unplugged

Does it run poor prior to stalling or does it just shit off like the key s turned off?

Does it restart with ease like nothing is wrong?

Starts up good and few seconds died
I hope you can help
Just before it died it it acted up then ran good

Using your scan tool can you monitor the CMP and CKP sensor readings to see if either is dropping out signal right before stalling?

My scan tool does not have cmp or ckp

How about camshaft speed sensor and crankshaft speed sensor.

Do not call will not pay 26 bucks
Cancel my dues you have done nothing to help me

Best of Luck, sorry you no longer can diagnose this.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician