Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2004 f250 6.0 diesel. Smoke at exhaust tail pipe smells like…

2004 f250 6.0 diesel. Smoke...
2004 f250 6.0 diesel. Smoke at exhaust tail pipe smells like antefreeze and is using coolant with no external leaks. Any test to do to make sure is a head gasket? Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Ruben,

The common cause for this type of coolant loss is in most cases a leaking EGR cooler and in some cases the head gaskets. I have enclosed the steps in the first link to check the EGR cooler.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvuzkmz6j2mfjoy/EGR%20cooler%20Oct%206.pdf?dl=0

Ford has also released a service bulletin dealing with the steps to check the cooling system and head gaskets. I have also enclosed it for you in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb0dipuzs9eyjeb/Cooling%20system%20bulletin%20Oct%206.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Ron, does a leaking egr cooler will give the same symptoms of a head gasket with the smell of coolant in the exhaust pipe?

Yes a leaking cooler will give you the loss of coolant and the white smoke out the tail pipe. If your not pushing coolant into the degas bottle I would suspect the cooler is the source of this leak and not your head gaskets.

Thanks Ron, keep you inform

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Im here if needed. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hi Ron, I found the egr cooler leaking but also notice at the front right head of engine..water dripping from the gasket. I have read about this engined that doing a head job it requires special attention to some kind of studs what is that and what other things should I look for.

The inner head bolts are not reused, you can however reuse the outer head bolts. See the RH side head replacement steps in the link below. Let me know if you need the LH head steps as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3rdsitku3zaqgv/RH%20head%20Oct%205.pdf?dl=0

Morning Ron, sorry to bother you could you please send the link for head remove and reinstall steps. My computer crash. Thanks

Is this the same truck?

it is, I tried the link but the info is not there
Thanks Ron

Your very welcome.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician