Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 04 explorer and not sure if its a coincidence or…

Customer Question
I have a 04 explorer...
I have a 04 explorer and not sure if its a coincidence or nit but changed fule filter andbthebnext daybafter keaving work my husband said while sitting at a light the car lost all power and wouldnt restart its been 2 months and altho im a female i try not to need to reky on another to help me with the mabky things i encounter lol, anyhow he had it towed homed and since then i have checked the usual low maintence issues like fuse gas the pats system battery etc and mived on to the more extensive leading me here baffked and angered i cant figure this out!!! I have checked compression spark fuel and air and all is good. I have replaced the tps as to that being the onky code pulled i had taken the whole throttke body off and ckeaned it and still nothing!! therebare onlyntwo lights shown in the display panel andnthatbis the check gauge light and the battery light ( check charging system) whichbleads nento bekieve maybe the altnator i havent taken a voktometer to it yet andbactuakkyntested nor had it taken andbhad it bench tested because my husband is adimint in that nit being the issue!! So i moved on and hadnitntowed to a shop and was told it was the timing but wasnt told if itnwas front or back ifit jumped or broke and wheni asked why he came to that conclusion i was tokd by him just tryingto start it i asked if a comoression test was done and he said no!! Now fromnwhat i understand based on that renduring you cant say 109 or even 50% that isbthe issue without doing a compression test! so it was towed here again and i checked the compression which was good both banks i checked the coil pack andbruled that out its not the fuel cutoff switchbas to fuel gettingto the fuel rail and the fuek pump is working the inky thing i didnt do is check fuel pressure my husband did that and he saidit was good but inget a differnt answer everytime.. He is soldon the bekief its the timingissue stated before but my question is what woukd be the plausable step to take next as to nit wanting to kepp throwing moneybat this with no results
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I can help you with this no start condition. However, I do have a few questions before we get started.

First, have you checked for codes in the computer?

Does the engine run on starting fluid?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

you call if preferred an only tried starting fkuid once with no avail and had it checked with a scanner but onky code shown was i believe p203 but anyways it was saying it was the throttle body position sensor/actuator
Whichbwasbreplaced and made no difference

Thank you for that information. Are you able to send me the VIN?

That way I can look up specific information for you and help you diagnose this condition.

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

hold on one moment

ok

I apologize i had a situation arise and had to leave promptly so i dont have the vin at the moment

No problem.

I can wait until you have the VIN..

Or I can send over a phone call offer for as little as $5 bucks. This way we can get started right away.

I am waiting for your reply.

I will wait on the call for now as to possibky needing it later and not being with the truck at the moment so it will be about an hour before i can produce the vin

Ok, sounds good.

Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, the code you said was p0203?

Im almost positive but i am for certain that the code was for the throttle body position sensor whichbwas replaced and no difference

ok, thats not a throttle position sensor code

Ok well the one pulled was for the tips thats why i said i want 100% certain butted now that the code was for the tps
Tps

there are 7 or 8 codes for the tps.

I will need the exact code to go any further.

Im not much help there!! I only know that it was the throttle body sensor but like i said in my question it had been replaced as well as i have taken off the whole throttle body and cleaned it but still made no difference
Ok well it isn't pulling any codes since i replaced it is what in saying

did you just scan it for codes?

is it still not starting?

last week
it was P2135
still not starting
I had replaced the code as soon as it broke down like insaidbthis has been over 2 months ago since i have went thru everything in my knowledge that could cause it not to start

ok. P2135 will not keep it from starting

you are getting off track from the not starting issue. does the vehicle crank?

I was justntrying to give whoever some insight on what all i had done so they could eliminate the possibilities but i only started on the throttle codes because u asked
it cranks just doesn't turn over all the way it sometimes acts as if it is and then looses it all again if that makes sense

has it been checked for spark?

i have stated all that in my initial post it has spark it has full up to fuel rail and compression is good

what about injector pulse?

My brother had tested that and saiditbwas good
I didntnhave the tool tontest
Now as i also stated i had it towed tobanshop andnwas good itbwas the timing i wasnt told if it was the left or right or if jumped or broke but he said he didn't done compression test thats when i had it towed home and checked compression myself and it Wass good from my understanding i didn't things could definitely say it was timing without a compression test and only just trying to start it

ok. are you getting rpms when cranking the engine?

No i don't believe so but i don't remember i have tried starting it in a while

very important to know

Ok well ill be home in about 45 mins so i guess i can let u know then

ok. ill be here

hows it going?

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner!! Was admitted in the hospital with kidney stones and just now getting home and comfortable enuff to write back!! But yes I have rpms

ok. im going to open this up to the other techs to chime in. Im not sure what else to check and your initial page of the explanation is very confusing. please dont reply back or it will take the question off of the board.

Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello there,

Sounds like the valve timing is wrong to me

Can you list your compression test figures please?

Exact numbers, not just good or ok please.

Gary