Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Was backing out of the driveway and went to put on the

Customer Question
Was backing out of...

Was backing out of the driveway and went to put on the brakes but the pedal would not move

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?

130K not sure, bought used

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2009 ford escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just happened this week twice

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that is sufficient lol

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
10/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

The brake pedal would not move like it was locked up or it was just very hard to press, but did stop the vehicle?

like it was locked
do you know what it could be?

Did it ever free up so you could stop the vehicle or is it still lock ed up with no brakes working?

it stopped, I had to step on it a couple times then it pressed down. In drive no problem...just in reverse?????

Does this occur every time when using reverse?

Will it occur in reverse while not moving or must you be rolling for this to occur?

No it doesn't occur everytime. and yes when it is rolling

Since it only occurs in reverse that rules out the pedal, booster, ABS, master cylinder. I would check your brakes at the wheels to see if the front caliper pins or brackets are worn and getting jammed when braking in reverse. Also check the rear shoes and wheel cylinders. When braking in reverse something at one of the wheels is moving in way it should not and not moving when going forward. Something is worn or broken and applying force on the caliper pistons or wheel cylinders.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,
I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.
Thanks Chris