Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Focus with a Zetec engine with a major problem…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Focus with a Zetec engine with a major problem it all started with the battery symbol coming on so I charged the battery, however, the light came back on after driving only 30 mins, replaced the alternator and the charging symbol is still on so I then did a voltage check and the alternator had a no voltage output.
I found out about the smart charging system on my car being controlled by the ECM.THe very next morning I found that my car was broken into and a
the thief had stoled my cold air intact system and made a mess with the wiring I tried to repair the wires the best I can so I re-installed the original air intake system, reset the ECM memory by removing the Neg lead from the battery neg post and jumpered from the positive post to the removed negative lead. now car stalls with a rough idle as it tries to find the (at idle throttle position).then I noticed the car getting very hot to the point of the catalytic converter was actually glowing red so I turned the car off. replaced both o2 sensors still, the same problem and battery light is still on and have an error code for alternator still lit.I have run dash command diagnostic OBD-II software and have the data available via scan XLS format or excel format if this will aid in assisting me with my problem.I am an electronic technician and a seasoned amateur mechanic with over 40 years of working on my own vehicles and this has me stumped

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

My what?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a fore focus 2000 did you not tread what I wrote?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes it is a not a mini

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Did you still need help?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

cell(###) ###-####

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

well i can not afford the additional fee, I am a veteran on a tight budget

Ok, no problem.

We can continue on this page.

ok
the last data that i was able to get is attached

Thank you for that information.

So which part are we going after?

The check engine light?

I am kind of suprised that you ask that question being that I wrote that my car won't idle and the cat is red hot I have 2 get it going before i worry about the light don't you think? I can not keep it going long enough to get codes now

Thank you for that information sir.

You should be able to get codes key on engine off.

It does not have to run in order for you to pull codes.

There may be codes stored in the computer related to why it does not idle.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it would be MUCH easier for me if you had the stored codes in the computer.

If you would rather, I can simply provide you with some possible causes as to why the engine won't idle and the cat is red hot if you would like (without knowing the codes).

this is all i get and again the car is getting super hot and the valve cover gasket is now leaking as if there is a misfire or a lot of blowby I am getting no misfires also so this is what i got P0113 which the scanner to also check P0622

Thank you for that information, sir. That's what I needed. :)

While I don't have a listing for a P0622 code for this vehicle, the P0113 is cause for concern. The sensor could be faulty or the wiring could be open/shorted to power or ground causing both the check engine light and this code stored in the computer.

this is what I have for
P0622 Generator Field "F" Control Circuit Malfunction. as I stated before this is the second alt. that I have installed and believe that the pcm is preventing it to output and charge the battery.you do know that the 2000 ford focus has the smart charge programming in it right?
I also think that i am getting to much fuel the O2 sensor in the front when I changed it was real smooty black soot

YES sir. Most all charging systems on cars nowadays are controlled by the PCM.

Can you tell me the inputs going into the back of the alternator with the engine running?

I also have this from your website that I hope you know about also
are you not a ford expert kind Sir?

YES sir I am.

I can not keep the car running by my self to give you voltage readings at this time I live alone the file I just sent Iyou I have verified the wires like the file states
I will also tell you that I have two batteries and the last scan i just did I installed a fully charged battery with the same results. but the battery will not cause the car to get the cat so hot willl it or make it not find the at idle postion
? right

Ok, you can certainly check the power supplies going to the back of the alternator with the key on engine off.

The most common cause of this condition would be an air/vacuum leak or a faulty mass air flow sensor. Look close at the MAF sensor and connection as well as the intake air assembly for any cracks or rips where air can enter the engine AFTER the mass air flow sensor. It could be loose or broken causing this issue you are experiencing.

If you would like we can speak on the phone as it would make this a bit easier for us.

I can check the voltages for you not a problem and the MAS is a straight shot to the throttle body and as for what I can see there are no holes or rips in it all. Can it be the dle Air Control (IAC) circuit malfunction -

YES, but it would only affect the idle.. if that's the issue your having.. then yes.. it could be.

Although, it wont affect the converter..

at this point I will have to get back with you as I have school work to work on & yes I am 56 yrs old and going to clooege

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great night!!

the car will not idle the cat gets red hot when I ry to keep the car going to get me some codes and the codes I get are what i have given you may i ask what sensor are you refering to with the P0113 code?
good night

That code is for the air intake temp sensor which is integrated into the mass air flow sensor.

I am glad I can help!Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN