Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My Daughter has a 2004 Ford Taurus and was driving and

My Daughter has a...

My Daughter has a 2004 Ford Taurus and was driving and suddenly it wouldn't drive. She tried to drive it and it wouldn't engage. it starts just fine, but it won't go into gear shifter will move, but the gears won't engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Same year 2004 I haven't It was in transit when it happened. She was waiting at a light. what did you mean check the light? There are no lights on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I plan to, and I have not yet tried anything. We simply had it towed to our home. I do want to fix it myself. I was thinking Toque converter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be more simple?

10/5/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The common problem on this transmission is a stripped out input shaft at the front pump or a stripped out front pump. If in fact that is the cases you are going to need to remove the transmission and do an inspection to determine if in fact that is the case.

I am wanting to do the work myself. I will have to drop the tranny to see it then no matter what?

Yes , the input shaft is turned by the torque converter and it turns the front pump. In order to inspect them the trans has to come out. If you need the transmission removal steps I can post them for you as well.

I will need to know if you have the 2 valve engine or the 4 valve as well.

Okay bummer. Can you send me any video or instructional videos? YouTube suggestions for help? I have done something similar in my Ford truck, but not this car.

I can send you the factory steps but I will need to know if you have the 2 valve engine or the 4 valve as well. Let me know which engine you have and I will post the steps for you.

Okay it is a 2 Valve.

Okay I have enclosed the factory steps as well as a video link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qunr6g4llsh42r8/trans%20removal%20Oct%205.pdf?dl=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2J1ToorpU

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician