Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

93 f250 7.3. New master and booster from NAPA. Engine

Customer Question
running, pedal creeps to floor...
93 f250 7.3. New master and booster from NAPA. Engine running, pedal creeps to floor WITHIN 6 seconds or so. Engine off, harder pedal but still creeps down around 15 seconds. New vacuum pump, serpentine belt and tensioner, hoses, clamps you name it. Pressure bleed, manual bleed still same. No leaks and almost a gallon of fluid through with no air. Caliper bleeders are on top not the bottom, have seen that issue on these trucks from previous owner. Does make the whoosh sound when hitting brake pedal. Vacuum holds great for over a minute. No leaks between cylinder and booster. Any ideas? Thanks
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
10/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Fix It Man, Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** there are no external leaks and if the master cylinder is good then the problem is in the ABS unit. You either have air trapped in it, or more than likely it has an internal seal that is leaking. In order to get the air out you need a Ford bleeder box to open the valves in the unit. Most of the time the pressure bleeding you did will get the air out but not always. If you have bled it that much then I would suspect that the ABS hydraulic unit has a bad internal seal in it. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

The RABS valve was not the issue. The valve was $148 at the cheapest place. I Decided to go to NAPA and found a 6 inch line to bypass the RABS valve that they have in stock $7.42. Bled everything again, still the same issue. Pedal creep. Decided on the brake booster since it was making noise. Swap out was less than 15 minutes. Problem solved. No more whoosh and no more pedal going to floor. I only unbolted the master cylinder and moved to the side without loosening any brake lines so no re-bleed necessary. If anyone needs the bypass line size for the 93 f250 it is 3/8 24×1/2 24 fittings. Thanks

That is strange as the booster does not provide hydraulic pressure. Was the pedal creeping to the floor?

the pedal crept to the floor. Faster with engine running, slower with it off. What i did to come to the booster again was pulled the vacuum hose off, pumped the brake pedal several times to make sure no vacuum was left inside the booster. I waited roughly a minute and applied pressure to the brake pedal. It remained steady. Makes no sense at all to me but that is what took care of my issue.

I am glad it is taken care of. That is strange though. If you ever need anything else in the future please let us know.