Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

04 f150 5.4 what are the correct timing marks to use on the…

Customer Question
04 f150 5.4 what...

04 f150 5.4 what are the correct timing marks to use on the cam gears

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford F150. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I just need the correct timing marks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

I have enclosed the complete replacement steps in the link below. Have a look at step #15 in the install instructions for the diagram showing their positions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy5qnlpiklbscqp/Timing%20Oct%205.pdf?dl=0

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

I timed the engine started it, and the drivers cam jumped time. This vehicle is a Car lots truck. They did not want to replace the tensions, or chains could that be the cause.
Can a bad tensior let the jump timing like that

That is sure likely if it jumped time. Its always a good idea when doing this job to replace the chains as well as the guides and tesnsioners. And a bad tensioner will cause the chain to jump for sure .

The timing marks on the can gears are lines with arrows on them correct

Yes just as shown in the factory steps.

The entire guide on one of the chains were completely broken and now in oil pan. Could that could have been caused by a bad tension?

If somehow its came apart enough to restrict the Oil pump pick up screen it could cause low oil pressure. That would be pretty rare if that is the case. Normally if its just came apart in pieces it would just lay in the pan with no issues.

That jumped time when I started it.
I will order chains and tensions. And install them

That what I would do and just to be on the safe side you should also remove the oil pressure sending unit and double check your engine oil pressure just to be sure its okay. Ford's oil pressure specification is minimum 25 PSI at idle and 40-75 PSI at 2000 RPM with the engine at operating temperature

I will

Okay, Im here if needed and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Could low oil pressure cause that problem also

Yes if the pressure is low it will not apply tension to the tensioners , you will usually hear the chains rattling on start up if in fact that is the case.

They were making noise

Okay then I would sure check the oil pressure.

I will check oil pressure and get back with you

Okay

This 5.4 has maybe 7-9 pounds of oil pressure while cranking and idle.

That would explain why the chain jumped then, that is not enough oil pressure to put tension on the chains. You have either a bad oil pump or plugged pick up screen or a worn engine.

Oil pan is filled with metal shavings

That is not a good sign and usually means its time to replace the engine. Its very likely that the oil passages are plug with theses shaving as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician