Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Im a mechanic and im stumped, 2011 ford edge brake booster…

Customer Question
Hey im a mechanic...

Hey im a mechanic and im stumped

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 ford edge brake booster replaced brakes locked up.i pulled fuse and rely from module still locked up. how do u adjust booster push rod on these things

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

Bleed brakes with vacum bleeder.replace master cyclinder and booster

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
sorry been a diesel mechanic all my life frustrated. ok i had 2011 ford edge come in pedal going to floor.so i pulled master cyclinder found it was leaking in brake booster.so i changed both and bleed brakes. car was good.three days later all four brakes started dragging. so i pulled fuse and relay for module.still dragging. so i figured push rod needed adjusted.but i cann't figure out how to adjust.tried turning counter clockwise and clock wise no change.is it the rod or tip of rod for adjustment. also what is correct measurement between push rod and master cyclinder on these. please any advice will help.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

********** please call me

10/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, if you unbolt the master cylinder from the brake booster, do the brakes unlock? All 4 wheels are locked up? Are you sure you have the correct brake booster? Do you still have the old booster?

they unlocked when backed up booster. and no sent other one for core
its the right booster
ford has replace control module 18 months ago too.

Ok it doesnt show it as having any type of booster push rod adjustment like other vehicles do. Since the booster is correct, as long as it is installed correctly, no issues with the brake pedal linkage not bound up. I would suspect an issue with the master cylinder or not the correct master cylinder. Double check the installation of the booster and the master.

Component Tests

Brake Booster

1. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum sensor/check valve from the brake booster and connect a suitable vacuum/pressure tester to the booster side of the vacuum sensor/check valve.
  2. Apply the parking brake, start the engine and place the transmission in NEUTRAL.
    • Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
  1. NOTE: Subtract approximately 3.38 kPa (1 in-Hg) from the specified reading for every 304.8 m (1,000 ft) of elevation above sea level. Verify that vacuum is available at the vacuum sensor/check valve with engine running at normal idle speed.
    • The vacuum gauge should read between 51-74 kPa (15-22 in-Hg).
    • If specified vacuum is available, stop the engine, connect the vacuum sensor/check valve and continue with Step 5.
    • If specified vacuum is not available, continue with Step 4.
  1. Disconnect the vacuum sensor/check valve from the vacuum hose and verify that the specified vacuum is available at the hose with the engine at idle speed and the transmission in NEUTRAL.
    • If specified vacuum is available, stop the engine, install a new vacuum sensor/check valve and continue with Step 5.
    • If specified vacuum is not available, stop the engine, connect the vacuum hose to the vacuum sensor/check valve and refer to Engine to diagnose the no/low vacuum condition.
  1. Apply the brake pedal several times to exhaust all vacuum from the system.
  2. Apply the brake pedal and hold it in the applied position. Start the engine and verify that the brake pedal moves downward after the engine starts.
    • If the brake pedal moves, the brake booster is operating correctly.
    • If the brake pedal does not move, install a new brake booster.
  1. Operate the engine a minimum of 20 seconds at idle. Stop the engine and let the vehicle stand for 10 minutes, then apply the brake pedal. The brake pedal feel should be the same as that noted with the engine operating.
    • If the brake pedal feels hard (no power assist), install a new brake booster vacuum sensor/check valve and retest.
    • If condition still exists, install a new brake booster.
    • If the brake pedal feels the same as noted with the engine operating, the vacuum sensor/check valve is functioning properly.

Brake Master Cylinder - Bypass Condition

1. Inspect the master cylinder. Refer to Brake System Inspection See: Brake System Inspection.
  2. Disconnect the brake tubes from the master cylinder.
  3. Plug the outlet ports of the master cylinder.
  4. NOTE: Make sure that the outlet port plugs do not show signs of leakage. Lightly apply the brakes and hold for 10 seconds. Release the brakes and then reapply with heavy force. If brake pedal height cannot be maintained, the brake master cylinder has an internal leak and a new brake master cylinder must be installed.

Brake Master Cylinder - Compensator Port

2. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
  3. Apply and release the brakes.
  4. With the brakes released, attempt to rotate each wheel and check for any brake drag.
    • If an excessive amount of brake drag exists at multiple wheels, continue to Step 5.

If an excessive amount of brake drag exists at only one wheel, it indicates a possible seized brake caliper, brake wheel cylinder or parking brake component. Repair or install new components as necessary.

5.checkhe brake stoplamp switch and the brake pedal free play to verify that the brake pedal is not partially applied.

1. Loosen the brake master cylinder nuts and position the brake master cylinder away from the brake booster.
  2. With the brakes released, attempt to rotate each wheel and check for any brake drag.
    • If the brake drag is no longer present, install a new brake booster.
    • If the brake drag is still present, install a new master cylinder.
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans