Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4, 3.0, auto trans....trans

Customer Question
issue.....vehicle won't shift out 1st...
2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4, 3.0, auto trans....trans issue.....vehicle won't shift out 1st gear 99% of the time...occasionally, if you leave it sitting overnight, you can take off in it and it will shift up through the gears as if nothing wrong. But within as few sec of shifting to 3rd it will drop back down to 1st and stay there....sometimes the trans will engage when it's put in R, but most times it wont....the gear indicator/odometer stays visble when the key is off....with the key on the shifter indicator shows it to be in P, when placed in R it indicates that it went from P to R, but N D 1st and 2nd stay lit up all the time no matter where shifter is....check engine light is on...i retrieved code 707....wait, there's more....took it to a trans shop and they said the trans pump is out and asked $2700 to pul the transl, rebuild it, and put it back in....they never mentioned the trans code, but they did erase (It came back on).....i don't know if the trans shop is jerking my chain or not.....if it needs a trans it needs a trans but I hate to lay out that kind of money if I'm really looking at something like a new Range Switch (which I would do myself) to solve my problem....at the same time I don't want to buy parts and spend time on it myself if in fact it needs a new trans....
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
10/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

that code is for the range sensor circuit..has it been changed or tested?

Haven't laid hands on anything yet other than checking fluid level....after trans shop said the pump was out I thought I'd ask someone who is more knowledgeable about transmissions before doing anything else....

i would bring it to a ford dealer and get a second opinion..these trannys are notorious for failure but hard to bielieve its a pump failure

It's my wife's, warranty long gone....i do my own work if possible....im not taking it to a Ford dealer nor any other mechanic....if it needs a trans ill buy reman and transplant it myself, I've just never rebuilt a trans and I've no desire to....and I'm not paying $18 more to be told to take it to a Ford dealer....thank you...sorry I wasted your time....
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 8 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, do you need more help with this concern? When it does shift out of first gear are all the gears there? You drove this vehicle home ok? No other codes are stored? How many miles are on the trans?