Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1988 Grand Marquis with a 5.0, we moved the trans back a…

Customer Question
1988 Grand Marquis with...

1988 Grand Marquis with a 5.0, we moved the trans back a couple inches to change the ring gear, now it won't shift out of first gear, would it be the TV linkage needs readjusting?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

1988 and no we didn't, it was working perfect before we did thw ring gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are, we just were reading about the TV and it makes sense that the trans thinks it's in kick down passing gear mode

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 11 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Did you remove the shifter cable and the tv cable before you moved the trans back?