Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1984 Ford F-150 with the 351w. I just rebuilt the.

I have a 1984 Ford...
I have a 1984 Ford F-150 with the 351w. I just rebuilt the carburetor. When I start the truck when it’s cold, it will start just fine but runs a little rough. But once the engine warms up, if I let my foot off the accelerator, it will die out. Also if I open the choke plate up all the way til it’s straight up and down, it will make a sucking noise and die. It also has a brand new fuel filter also. I’m stuck.
10/4/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Do you have the two barrel or four barrel Holley carburetor?

2 barrel motocraft. The number on it are e4te-aca.

When you rebuilt the carburetor you may have set the float level incorrect and the power valve may have been incorrect one if you used an aftermarket kit. Did the power valve look different or have a different number on it indicating different flow?

It did look different but it said it was an updated version. I didn’t adjust the float level at all after I rebuilt the carb.

Did you get the kit from Ford or from a local parts store? They will have a rebuild kit for different carburetors that look similar but have different sizes of jets and power valves. You can also try to disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve to make sure it is not opening causing running issue.

Did you recheck the float level after putting in the new float needle?

Sometimes the needle is longer and would cause the float level to be too low.

I got it from the local parts stores as the ford guy said it was obsolete so he didn’t have any parts for it. I didn’t recheck it but I’m going to tonight when I get off work.

Okay. That's all you can do at this point. Recheck all the adjustments and make sure you hooked back the vacuum lines correct to correct ports on carburetor for the EGR valve. Let me know once you get to vehicle and working on it if you need additional assistance.

Ok I will let you know tonight.

No problem.

Do you have any other questions for me? If not then please accept and rate my answers 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you. Thanks.

One last question. Sorry for the delay. Is the carburetor for the manual and automatic transmissions from that truck interchangeable? Can I use the carb from a truck with a manual trans? It’s part number is ***** different. Mine is e4te-Aca and the manual trans is e4te-ada

The two carburetors are different in the linkage for the automatic transmission kickdown may not be on the manual transmission one. Other than this you should not have any difference.

Am I able to swap those linkages?

You may have to swap the throttle shafts on some carburetors. Depending on carburetors you can swap the entire bottom plates. Would need picture of both carburetors to know for sure.

The first two pictures are the auto trans carb and the 2nd two are the manual trans carb.
65387B57-B981-46CA-B1E9-...png65387B5...png20B2A0AA-5776-44E3-963A-...png20B2A0A...pngEA3D2108-22E4-48AA-9F27-...pngEA3D210...png68FC675C-B99A-4F06-B573-...png68FC675...png

If you notice the extra lever on the auto one next to throttle lever. This is the difference in the two shafts. On this motorcraft carb you would need to swap the throttle shaft by removing choke components and throttle plates. Then the shaft can be slid out and swapped. It would be easier to just get a rebuild kit and rebuild the one you have.

I forgot you already rebuilt the carburetor. You can try to redo the rebuild and make sure to clear all passages with carb cleaner.
I was just looking at it and the case is cracked where the mixture screws screw in. Looks like someone screwed them in too far
Ok. Then a replacement is needed. Why cannot you get auto trans one?

Do you have any other questions for me? If not then please accept and rate answers 5 stars so I get credit helping you today. Thanks.

It is no where to be found.

Are the cracks on your carb repairable by using JBWeld? You may be able to get a junk yard one and rebuild it.

No junk yards have one either. That’s the problem I’m running into.

Look through the others on sale and see one with the kickdown linkage should work on your truck.

Did you see all the new carburetors for sell that match yours?

Jaybird61