Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford lcf 4.5. 2006. Change both fuel filters. Both are

Customer Question
Ford lcf 4.5 Mechanic's...

Ford lcf 4.5

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes change both fuel filters

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

Both are external

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It will start if you use carb cleaner in breather but will not start without

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The fuel filter on your LCF is located in the secondary fuel filter housing located in the engine compartment. The lid comes off and the filter element is inside. See it in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k8v0w10h5dbpk1/fuel%20filter%20Oct%204.pdf?dl=0

the primary filter is in the frame by the pump
this is a cab forward truck

Yes I know that it is a cab forward truck. The secondary filter is still used on this one. It needs to be changed as well

has been
first thing i done was change both filters

Okay then what is your question, you asked where the filter where right?

no truck wont start fuel pressure seems to be ok truck will start when carb cleaner is sprayed in to air filter

Have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

wont talk to scanner
if it would it would be nice

The common cause for this type of no start on this engine is usually a failing High Pressure Oil Pump or the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) but in most cases the computer will set and store a fault code. Have you tried a different scan tool to be sure its not the scanner?

do you have pic of location of ipr

Before you check it make sure the DLC power fuse is in place and has power in and out of it. The fuse is the F1-31 fuse located in the engine compartment.

fuses behind cab or in cab
no fuses in engine space as located under cab

behind the cab. It should be fuse F1-31

ok
i will go try that and let you know

Its located in the battery junction box. See it in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q8yylfezwht33b/BJB%20Oct%204.pdf?dl=0

any way to check high pressure oil pump scanner will not talk to truck because do not have software

Can you get your hands on a scanner that will pull the codes. Knowing the codes will direct you to what needs to be checked, there is no way of know if the IPR has failed with out starting with the code scan. I have gone ahead and enclosed the step to check the HPOP as well as the IPR in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tux8aol3mp3wenl/IPR%20testing%20Oct%204.pdf?dl=0

Ron, ASE Certified Technician