Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

P0657 code. Intermitant but same code and causes limp mode.

Customer Question
Intermitant but same code...

Intermitant but same code and causes limp mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

P0657 2008 f550

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes- pin tested all harnesses- in trans and out of pan - found nothing. replaced pcm and tcm as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also replaced batteries to insure good voltage to system

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, can you post the 17 digit VIN number for this vehicle? Are there any modifications done to the truck, a tuner? Other than the code stored, is there an issue with the trucks operation?

No modifications done,

VIN number so I can check the build date for bulletins or specific service information?

1fdaf56r8eb01755

Missing a digit from the vin its 17 digits long

1FDAF56R88EB01755

Ok this code says you have lost all power to the transmission. You said you tested the pins, do you have power to the transmission bulkhead connector and to the tcm? The fuses for the transmission are ok?

have power across the board, truck randomly throws the code. Some times goes two weeks and some times goes 40 miles.

Ok, my suggestion would be to load test the power circuits to make sure there isnt high resistance in the power supply wiring to the transmission. this can be done by sending power down the circuits and hooking up a headlamp bulb using jumper wires. Wiggle the harness and see if the light bulb goes out or doesnt light up brightly. Indicating a wiring problem. Since the TCM is new that should be ok. There are issues with the solenoids from time to time but they will typically set additional diagnostic trouble codes. You can drop the trans pan and make sure the solenoid wiring connections is tight. I have seen the main connection to the solenoids loose and using a pick and making the terminal connections tighter has helped with intermittent faults.

Yeah did that, also replaced internal harness. And ohmed test each solenoid

Ok and no other codes are stored and this is an intermttent fault correct

Yeah no other codes

Power to all solenoids has been interrupted. CHECK for opens, short to ground and the harness disconnected. REPAIR as required. When Actuator Supply Voltage A is commanded OFF as a Failure Mode Effect Management action, CHECK all solenoids for correct function as listed in the band, clutch, solenoid and switch application chart. For additional information on diagnosing PCM concerns, refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual

The modules are new, the internal harness is new, so the only thing left is a problem with an intermittent open or short to ground. I would overlay a new power supply wiring for the circuit and see if the concern returns. Thats the only thing left as long as no other codes are stored.

If you need more help or information for this concern please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans