Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 ford taurus has a fuel pump out of rnage code and a…

Customer Question
2005 ford taurus has...

2005 ford taurus has a fuel pump out of rnage code and a "burning" smell emitted and detected when outside the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Probably original just got the car had 15x,xxx miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Simple scan, cleared the code was running fine but today stuttered and then was giving off the smell indicated

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that is all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
10/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

I have never seen a fuel pump in the fuel tank to give off a burning smell. Check under car and look at the exhaust to see if you got something caught on the exhaust that will give off the smell like a plastic bag. Otherwise I would look in the engine compartment for coolant or fuel leaks that can cause odors. Let me know the codes you got also? What engine size do you have?

I believe the code was P1235 the car runs fine, with just the occasional stumble or "close" to stall, however has not quit. It is quite possible that the burn smell was from cleaning fluid applied and not completely burnt off trying to clear some oil so we could identify the exact spot of the seepage the previous day. As this is an older car I thought perhaps there might be history that would assist me in solving this issue. The engine is a 3.0

The code P1235 is an intermittent code from the fuel pump driver module in the trunk did not get a valid or missing fuel pump driver signal from the engine computer. I would recommend clearing the code and then see if code returns. If the code returns then you would need to replace the fuel pump driver module and fuel pump in the tank.

You should have the fuel pump relay first and then the other two items replaced if problem continues and code returns.

If you have no other questions for me then please accept answers and rate me 5 stars so i can get credit for helping you today. Thanks.