Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Working on a 2004 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 L V-8. The

Customer Question
vehicle is stuck in four-wheel-drive...
Working on a 2004 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 L V-8. The vehicle is stuck in four-wheel-drive and will not disengage. All of the four-wheel-drive indicator lights on the dash and push buttons function normally but no disengage . Please advise
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Pulling code U2023 from transfer case
10/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

You mentioned the push buttons work, but the lights remain on. How did you determine the buttons work?

the pushbuttons work and the lights seem to illuminate correctly when we select***** or four-wheel-drive. Four-wheel-drive also gives an indication on the dash that it is engaged and when we turn off four-wheel-drive the indication goes away. The lights on each button change when we select a different modes which indicates to me that the buttons are functioning but it's definitely stuck in four-wheel-drive with no change in mechanical mode
Any idea when you will be available today?