Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a 2003 Ford Taurus SES. I have replaced the

Customer Question
We have a 2003...

We have a 2003 Ford Taurus SES. I have replaced the alternator and the battery is good. Walmart tech shows me on his meter that there is zero charge by the system. We don't know if the voltage regulator is bad, where it is or if there is a bad relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?

Miles 108,000 and the battery is 18 months old and checks fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just found the problem today and would like to take a crack at it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just need a tip of where to look.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Do you own a digital volt ohm meter so we can diagnose what is wrong?

Yest I do have an ohm meter.
The battery light is almost always on, though it is charged up over 90%. It seems to me that something is not talking to the alternator to send charge back to the battery.

Super, while running, can you tell me the voltage reading you get at each wire color on the alternator?

Presently, I'm at work and not able to touch the vehicle. What voltage per color should I see?

Since you are not able to actively test now. I will just upload the Ford steps for you to follow in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8pw1884optftql/charging.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll follow those directions and see what I come up with.

You are welcome

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Over the weekend, I measured the voltage across the pins. I then went to measure the electrical resistance but could not find that wide multi-pin connector that is on the attachment. Where might I find that on the 2003 Taurus?

The PCM connector is on the firewall near the wiper cowl.

Sorry you were not pleased with my help, do I need to request this post to be closed?

I need more time to identify and test the system. That should be complete by October 23rd.

This post has already timed out, so I doubt I will see a response on that date if you leave one. I wish the system did not work this way on non rated posts but it does

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician