Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus se that was running great

Customer Question
yesterday. But today I started...
I have a 2006 Ford Taurus se that was running great yesterday. But today I started going to work and about five miles in my journey it dies as I'm accelerating. My check engine light came on and a battery light. I put it in park and it cranks right up. Did this about 14 more times before I could get home. After the first time of during my check engine light stayed on. It seemed to die when I pressed the gas hard.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to a fault with the fuel pump acting up/failing.It can act up intermittently like you are seeing here causing the sudden stall out especially while trying to accelerate.I would have the fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge to see if the pump is faulty/failing.The vehicle may have to be driven with the test gauge attached to see if the pressure is dropping when this fault occurs.If it is then the pump needs replaced.

Since the check engine light did stay on at one point it is a good idea to have the fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set.Any shop or dealer can do this for a fee and a local parts store can usually do this at no charge.Once this is done this will help to diagnose and pinpoint the cause here.

The other common component can be the crank position sensor as it can fail to send a signal intermittently causing a stall out.

The codes do need checked to help locate which is at fault here as well if anything else is causing this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician