Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 1989 ford probe gl and sometimes I have heat and…

Customer Question
I have an 1989...

I have an 1989 ford probe gl and sometimes I have heat and other times i don't, I added coolant and it still picks and chooses when it throws heat

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

I'm only at 182,000 kilometers

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Probe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ill be fixing it myself, and I've only added coolant so far I'm just curious as to what the problem could be, is it something with my heater core or?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's my only issue right now

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
10/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good morning, hope you are doing great! My name is ***** ***** I am a Ford master technician, I would be happy to help answer this for you.In my experience I have found these to get bound up in the temperature door under the dash. There is a cam/actuator that controls the position of the temperature door, and when this develops an issue it can inhibit heat from traveling through it at times or all the time. You will need to inspect the make sure the door is moving properly when you adjust the switch.If the engine is still reaching operating temperature and you still get heat issues then the problem is going to be in the ventilation system. Let me know if you need any pictures or more info!!Does that help answer your question?