Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I turn it on, it idles roughly, and then dies. But if I keep…

Customer Question
I turn it on...

I turn it on, it idles roughly, and then dies. But if I keep the rpms up it functions just fine. Testing the check engine light comes up with an electrical problem. The battery was replaced a few months ago but I suspect my AC has something to do with it as it refuses to work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The check engine light or a different light?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 ford taurus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm just poking around and I have not personally tried anything. I'd taken it into a mechanic a few months ago to have the battery changed and the AC fixed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing comes to mind

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
10/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Can I start by getting the engine in the vehicle (8th digit of the VIN) and the code or codes stored in the computer?

Thank you!

I think I'm good, after checking the fuses and a bit of trial and error I discovered that there's a short somewhere in the air conditioning wiring. I'll have it looked at in a couple days

Sounds good!