Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 04 ford f150 5.4 liter triton v8 4x4 crew cup.

Customer Question
hi there i have a...
hi there i have a 04 ford f150 5.4 liter triton v8 4x4 crew cup. problem is there is lock of power it would not respond much to gas pedal plus it would not go more than 40 mph. spark plugs and coils been replace. there is codes.
po174
po102
po113
po172
po193
p2106
need to help to find problem thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

With all the codes you have stored, I am most concerned with the P2106, this code is for forced throttle actuator control system limited power.

Now, you also have codes 174 172 which indicate a fuel mixture issue, but because you have a code P102 for the mass air flow sensor it could also cause the 174 and 172 codes and the loss of power. P193 is for the fuel pressure sensor. This could be the sensor, or you may actually have low fuel pressure which would also cause the fuel mixture codes.

Soooo

I would unplug the mass air flow sensor and take the truck for a drive, see if there is any improvement. If there is, clear the codes and replace the maf sensor. If not, then I think I would clear the codes and take it for a drive. Then go after the codes that come back. Some of these could be old stored codes.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

where is the maf located on this one?

Sorry, the maf sensor is in the air tube from the air filter to the throttle body. Hopefully you will unplug it and then fire it up and have more power. You can just unplug it for this test.

i did and still the same

Ok

See, the code point to either a fuel issue or an issue with the throttle itself. If you can clear the codes, then drive it and see if any of the codes come back that could be helpful. The 172 and 175 codes won't come back right away. If you have the maf plugged back in, then if it shows up again we know there is a problem. The key here in my mind is that throttle code. If the throttle actuator motor isn't working properly, then the truck will be in failsafe mode. This leads to a loss of acceleration and power.

i clear the codes and the firts comming back was. p2106

Ok, that is telling me you have an issue with the throttle actuator. With this it usually means you will have to replace the throttle body. Give me just a moment to double check my info because its different year to year on these.

Ok

I would first try cleaning the throttle body. It's possible there is varnish inside that is holding the plate closed on the throttle not allowing the actuator to work properly. Check the connector out there and make sure it's clean and tight.

I think before replacing the throttle, I would have a shop check the throttle position sensor as well. If it's not reading right, it could cause this code to appear. I did find some service bulletins but you would have to have 2 codes together, P2135 and the P2106 for them to apply.

can u tell me how to check tps and how to clean trottle body please.

To clean the throttle body you need to get some TB cleaner, then take it off the truck and clean the inside of it. You spray it into the throttle and use a rag to clean it. Do not force the throttle plate open or closed. If its only varnish causing the problem then this will clean it up for you.

HERE is a link to the diagnostics for the throttle body and TPS

Thank you so much!

Do you need more help?

that link its just a part locator has nothing on how to test tps

Sorry about that, HERE is a new link with the testing procedures.

Ok it looks like the TPS is good at the throttle body. To know what's what the computer is seeing you need a scan tool or you have to locate the pins at the computer. From here is seems like the TPS is not a problem. But the throttle actuator is.

the trottle actuator comes with the all trottle body?

That is correct. It's all one unit on these.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

is there any special steps when replacing it

I don't see anything that would require reprogramming or resetting. Should just be able to install the new one.

ok i replace the trottle body assenbly and still the same i erase codes took it for a*****and then it turn on check engine light i check codes and it has. po174 4 times. p2106 4 times and po172 2 times. has lock of power does not respond to gas pedal specially on any little hill. now what next!!
after 2000 rpms it sound like engine its having a hard time to go any higher

Ok

Let's see if we can figure out the fuel trim codes. Seem to happen very fast to be honest. These are normally long term fuel codes, a*****doesn't normally bring them up. I am sending you a chart with possible causes for the P0172 code to check the list of items. I am also thinking it's possible there is a blocked converter causing some of this. You could pull the O2 sensors before the converter and see if the truck has more power.

if i pull sensor is it going to be very noise way more than normal?
is it posible to have low conpression on some pistons? and if that would be tha case i should see different codes right?

Yes, it's will be very loud, but it will also give the exhaust a place to go for the test.

Usually low compression will cause misfire codes.

Is it possible to set your scanner to voltage on the maf sensor so we can check it against the chart?
Also, it should be loud with a hole in the exhaust pipe.

Plus, can you clear the codes and reset the fuel trims back to 0 and run the truck again? Does not have to be for too long, I would just like to see the fuel trims short and long reset.

Thanks.

how can i reset fuel trims back to 0?
is there a way ti check fuelnpressure regulator and fuel pump pressure?
i notice there is way better response to gas pedal when its cold but when it warm up fuel pedal response its horrible to a point u can push it all the way down and truck will only go lite 20 or 30

When you clear the codes, the fuel trims should go back to 0, if not, then you will have to disconnect the battery for a while.You can check the fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gauge. usually if there is a problem with the regulator you will get a code for it.

where is the connection for the fuel gauge i cant find it

If it doesn't have one, then you have to T into where the line comes into the fuel rail. Some have the test port and some don't.

whats the specs for fuel presure? also notice that smells to unburn fuel when idle and even more while driving and gas pedal does not respond.

Engine running 28-45 psi.

If you are smelling fuel then it's likely misfiring

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician