Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 Ford F-350 7.3 powerstroke turbo Won't start It will…

Customer Question
My 1997 Ford F-350 7.3...
My 1997 Ford F-350 7.3 powerstroke turbo
Won't start
It will start and run perfectly with starter fluid
But when I turn it off it won't start back up
New fuel pump
New Ipr
Deadhead tested the hpop getting over 3000 psi
Reservoir is full but drains overnight
When I refill it it still won't start
New glow plugs
New valve cover gaskets
New filters
Help!!!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 day by:
10/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Have you ran a compression test?

Do you know the ICP pressure while cranking?

No I don’t know the ipc pressure but surely the deadhead test proves hpop pressure is suffice ?
Or do I need to remove the Ipc and connect the liquid filled high pressure gage
Then crank to test Ipc pressure ?
Also I have not had a compression yeast done on the cylinders but when I do spray a small amount of starter fluid up the intake the truck will start then run perfectly with plenty of power until I shut it of then It won’t start back up again
Wouldn’t the truck running perfectly fine after starter fluid start up eliminate any issues with cylinder compression?
Or at least eliminate that being the cause for the no start?
I assumed the reason for no start has something to do with injectors not receiving a signal to fire ?
Buzz test on injectors came back perfect also (FYI)
Could a leaking injector reduce the oil pressure sufficiently enough at cracking, to not allow start up?
If that is the case how then does it run and continue to run well with no lack of power after started with the starter fluid method?Engine has 162k on it (FYI)

You listed a bunch of questions you are wanting the answer to though those answers are not going to address this if I post that as my answer.

When cranking with the starter is it cranking to slow or adequate?

Both batteries are fully charged and it turns over rapidly
Yes very sufficient to start
  1. HPO reservoir draining mean the HPOP needs to be replaced.
  2. Deadhead only checks the pump, it does not confirm the IPR is working and there are no leaks under the valve covers thus lowering ICP reading
  3. Low compression can cause a no start but one started on the more volatile starting fluid the compression is adequate enough to keep it running.
  4. The cam sensor may not be registering correct at the slower engine speeds when cranking but does register at faster engine speeds.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Ok
My understanding with the cam sensor is is if the tachometer is bouncing when cranking that means the cam sensor is working correctlyIt seems logical to me if the compression were low the engine would not have the power that it has a run so excellently when running Pulls 10,000 pounds like it’s nothing
The IPR valve has been replaced and its wiring connector
I’m not sure what to understand when you talk about leaking under the valve covers are we talking about leaking injectors or leaking valve cover gasket‘s or what exactly?
The valve cover gaskets have been replaced
Could leaking injectors cause a no start but then run fine?
Why everywhere I read and everyone I’ve spoken to says that after you deadhead an HPop if you get back a high psi reading then the pump is fine ?
Couldnt a draining Hpop reservoir mean that the check valve is bad and allowing the oil To drain back into the engine or the bearing in the check valve has something stuck behind it ?
And if that were the case everyone I’ve spoken to and everywhere I have researched says if you fill up the reservoir with oil the engine should start that’s not the case here .
Can’t understand why the HPop pump would be bad if the supply lines coming out of the pump have over 3000 PSI of pressure. I am definitely willing to replace it but I don’t want to go through all that work for no reason.
It is Critical to me that I pinpoint exactly what the problem is instead of just throwing more money and parts at it for no reason this is why I am talking to you.

Leaking under the valve covers can be the high pressure oil rail or the injectors.

Yes a high pressure oil leak can cause a no start because the HPOP is spinning slower at cranking speed and not able to achieve the minimum 500 psi for the injectors to spray.

Deadhead just checks that the pump can make pressure, it does not confirm that pressure is all getting to the injectors to use nor does it mean the pump is not bad and leaking off the reservoir while off.

We are kind of stuck since you do not have the tools to diagnose. We need a scan tool to see the ICP and CMP reading while cranking.

I have taken it to a diesel mechanic shop and tested both the Icp and the CPM
Both are reading while cranking
Almost sounds like the high pressure oil rails are a likely culprit

Do you need any more assistance from me?

I expect so until the actual problem has been discovered

For me to continue, I need to know what is the ICP pressure while cranking.

Ok I will get that tested then respond to you here
What should the presssure be??

It must be 500 psi when cranking or the injectors will not attempt to spray. Here is some more info as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg3qh62akhrltv2/97start.pdf?dl=0

OK so if the PSI is not 500 will that mean the IPC is bad and needs to be replaced or would that have something to do with HPOP or could it mean that the oil rails are leaking

It could mean all 3 of those things. You would need to do an air test to check for leaks and do test on the pump IPR and ICP.

Ok what is the best way to perform an air test
Is in install a threaded nipple into the resrviour or the valve cover and connect my air compressor then listen for leaks (at what psi?)
Or please tell me how
Also how do I test the IPC psi
Is that with the same gage I use for the dead head test?
Do I simply remove the ipc and install the gauge there then crank the engine ?

You would remove the supply line to the rail and use pressurized air as much as possible psi to it and listen for a leak.

You would need to know the pressure your system is working at with a gauge then use a scan tool to see if the ICP reading matches.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris