Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1992 f150 bed 4.9, acting like it out of fuel, did filters a…

Customer Question
1992 f150 long bed...

1992 f150 long bed 4.9, acting like it out of fuel, did filters a month ago. I have only been using the rear tank for years, as i had problems with the front tank acting like it was empty when it wasnt. Im guessing i now have 2 bad fuel pumps. any way to test this theory?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

Yep stalls at low rpm, run ok at higher rpm. when it stalls, wont start right away but if i give it 5 mins it starts again, and runs ok for a bit. i dropped it off at a shop and they couldnt get it to show any symptoms

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent tried anything, still trying to diagnose. i tried to bring it to a shop but they couldnt get it to act up, now i will do it myself if i can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can hear the pump prime itself when i turn the key... thats all i guess

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
10/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Thanks Ron

The best way to test the pump if you are not getting any pressure would be to connect a volt meter and or a 12 volt test light to the pink/black power feed wire at the pump connector and then crank the engine over. If you have battery voltage and the pump dose not run then that means the pump has failed. Let check this first and let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

Ok will try this. I need to go pick up the truck so it will be a little bit. I can hear the pump turn on when I turn the key, does this mean anything?

The usually means its getting power but not producing pressure. If you connect your fuel gauge to the service port can you read the pressure. You need to see 45 to 60 PSI , anything less then 45 would indicate the pump has failed.