Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Ford Explorer the security is on and my car won't start…

Customer Question
2003 Ford Explorer the security...
2003 Ford Explorer the security is on and my car won't start .. The light blinks slow and when I put the key and turn it and just leave it turned almost to start position the light disperse. It cranks and has battery but no start it has gas flow it turned on for a few seconds normal it sounded good then it just died it's not the fuel pump either it has pressure.. Please help
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
10/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 10 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

If the theft light goes out when you turn the key to on, it is not a security problem. The theft light will flash slowly when the doors are closed and the key is not in the ignition.

Please give me the VIN# ***** your Explorer so I can check Fords database.

No it flashes slow and it does not blink fast when I turn the key to on position it goes away

Then it not a security issue. Let me have the VIN# ***** I can check Fords database on this concern.

Ok

Ok.

IFMZU62E02ZC03939

Thank you, ***** ***** the Ford OASIS print out.

Try starting the engine and see if the check engine light goes out while the engine is cranking over.

it turns off

Since the check engine light goes out during cranking, the PCM (Engine Computer) is seeing an RPM signal, so you should have spark.

Are you sure it is getting fuel pressure to the engine?

How did you check?

There is a little thing you click behind the distributor spark plug box and gas comes out

Does it spray out or just dribble?
You should have 45 psi of fuel pressure so when you press the needle valve down., it should be a large spray.

It's a large spray

Ok. We need to test for spark. Remove a spark plug wire from one of the spark plugs. Then remove that spark plug and place it in the end of the wire and placed it on a good metal ground. Then crank the engine over and see if you get a bright blue/white spark. DO NOT HOLD THE PLUG WITH YOUR HAND OR YOU WILL GET SHOCKED!!

I did it has spark
When I had my car it was running it turned off when I slowed down at a red light ever since that it has not turned on
I did a master reboot

Was the spark plug wet with fuel?

No it was not
I blocked it from hitting it at all

The next test are a little more involved. We need to check for power and ground to the fuel injectors using a NOID light and then do a manual compression test on all 6 cylinders. You should get a pressure reading around 175 PS on all 6 cylinders.

Also, a manual fuel pressure test to get the actual fuel pressure reading at the fuel injectors is needed.

There is power and ground
Can it be the security system tho cause I mean when I spray started fluid it starts

No. Because you state you have fuel pressure, and power and ground to the injectors, so the security system is working properly and not the problem.

You should have 12 volts to the injectors with the key turned on and a pulsed ground when cranking the engine.

all of it is working
I changed the crank sensor rn

if the engine runs on starting fluid, you tell me you have fuel pressure, spark at the spark plugs and power and ground to the injectors, the engine should start on its own.

Because if you can start it with starting fluid, that cancels everything else out.

And since it will start on starting fluid, that means you have a fuel issue with either the fuel pump, fuel injectors or the wiring from the PCM (Engine Computer) to the injectors. But you tell me you have power and ground to the injectors. And I cannot see all 6 injectors failing at the same time.

what do you think it is
I am breaking my head here since a week

When you start the engine with the starting fluid, will it continue to run or does it shut off shortly after you stop spraying the starting fluid?

Shuts off real quick
It does not stay on
I mean back 3 days ago I started it it turned on out of no where and it stayed on for like 1 -2 mins and then died
The problem started a week ago so I mean I don't know that's why I am stumped at this

I need you to do an actual fuel pressure test at the test port by the coil pack. You will need a fuel pressure tester.

Does the injector have a fuse
That I can check for or no

You told me you have power at the injectors and a pulsed ground. So do not look for a fuse.

Ok

I would check the fuel test port again. It should spray like a paint can spray, but with fuel.

It's sprayed and it came out a lot and when I turned the key again and again and again to fill the pressure up nothing
It had pressure and now there's nothing at all
How do you find the power to the injectors I think I checked it wrong or the wrong part

You no longer have fuel at the test port?

Nothing at all

The problem is the fuel pump in the fuel tank.

But I hear the fuel tank
we changed it new
the fuel pump I hear a sound

When did you change the pump?

And was it a complete assembly or just the fuel pump motor?

The pump can be working, but not pumping fuel.

Make sure you have fuel in the fuel tank also.

I changed all of it
it sounds good and it sounds like it's entering

make sure you have fuel in the fuel tank. The gauge could be reading fuel or half full, but really be empty.

We empty out the tank and put 5 gallons back in to it its bearly anything but do you think that's enough for it to start

It should, but what is the gauge reading?

Half of 1/4
Barely anything but I mean it should start tho
we changed the fuel pump filter we changed it also

You may want to check it again. I have gotten bad fuel pumps from my parts department at my dealership.

Is there any thing else of the then that

Nope.

55357;�

You hear the pump running but no fuel at the test port. That tells me the fuel pump is working, but not pumping fuel.

It makes a little spray and stops at the test port
I mean it has some but not high pressure

The pump is the problem.

In the injectors it has power

Replace the fuel pump. That is the cause of your problem.

We can also hear the click of the relay
Pump

Replace the fuel pump. That is the cause of your problem

I heared a loud pop when I turned the key and the fuel pump made a loud weird noise

It turned on it was that the wires behind the air filter was loose

What wires?