sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2011 Ford F250 with automatic air. When I turn on

Customer Question

Good morning! I have a 2011 Ford F250 with automatic air. When I turn on the a/c, the left side blows cold air and the right side blows hot air. The right side will eventually blow cold air. I watched several videos claiming that there was a blend door actuator behind the duct work behind the radio. I bought an actuator and took out all of the parts to get to that position. However, when I removed the duct work, I did not find an actuator located there. I did find one behind the glove box sort of to the right (I changed it with the new part that I purchased) and I found one at the bottom where the passengers feet reside.
I still have the same problem. Do I need to change the bottom actuator, or is there another one that I have not located?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, chances are near 99% it is a blend door actuator for the RH side. Sounds like the gearing inside has stripped and it catches at times, This is very common , The thing is and the bad news? you can not replace it like you have been trying, The dash must be removed to get to it. I have NO idea why they designed that way with such a high fail rate item but it is by design. I have attached a picture showing th actuator, It sits on top of HVAC case a bit towards the firewall./ I have not done this exact one in awhile but it is a bit challenging to get to, Here are the instructions for the right side and a file attachment showing location as #13 in the picture

Temperature Blend Door Actuator - RH

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the instrument panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12.
  1. Remove the 2 RH temperature blend door actuator screws.
  1. Disconnect the RH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector.
  1. Remove the RH temperature blend door actuator.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. NOTE:When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait at least 30 seconds to verify correct temperature blend door operation.

Please rate my service provided by using the stars at the top of the page.You can still return with followups after rating. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Thanks, Randall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click on the link "section 501-12", I do not get anything. I am able to look at the jpg file that you have attached.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

the file does not work that way. What are you asking? how to remove the dash? I can send what I have but files may be a bit large and can not send everything. I am sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like any instructions that you have access to on how to remove the dash. Thanks,
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry not possible to send all the files and sub files in this type of format,.I have attached one large file, after that, it would be lots on/off all day, Sorry for that. I would then suggest going to Alldatadiy.com and paying like $24 to get online access to factory repair info as we use in the shop for your truck.I am sorry but when its a big job and many files. JA system does not allow sending over a certain size file. Its not me. Here is the main file

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

in thew shop? we do not unhook everything say on drivers side, We do on passenger side and then unbolt dash and draw it back just enough to get to top of HVAC case, like setting right side on seat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the part that you recommended and that did not resolve the problem.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Very odd, in most all cases it is the blend door actuator, I am sorry, I did my best but will opt out and open the post back to the other experts. One should be long soon to continue helping

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do still need help since the previous suggestion did not fix the problem. However, I will not be able to try any new suggestions for a week as I will be out of town.

Do you have a dual or single zone system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dual zone. Automatic air

Are you able to change temperature normally on both sides when using heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only problem seems to be that the right side initially blows hot air while using the a/c. So far, it will eventually go to blowing cold air.

Has nothing with the actual a/c system been done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, truck has 170k miles on it. I put the last 25k on it over the past 3 years with occasional use. Other than changing a front stabilizer bar earlier this year, I have not had to do any repairs. When this problem first started, I had the freon checked and it was fine.

This is being caused by an a/c performance issue and is most likely happening due to low charge. What specifically was done that you believe charge is correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic put his gauges on and checked it.

It needs to be recovered with a recovery machine and charged to the proper level.