Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Airbag light is on RCM is reporting U3000:4A-AF vehicle had…

Customer Question
Airbag light is on...

Airbag light is on RCM is reporting U3000:4A-AF vehicle had factory leather seats but seats have been swapped for cloth seats.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Customer:*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus ST yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just pulled DTC info and reset RCM module

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Additional Fault Data - Incorrect Component Installed
10/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The definition of the U3000-4A is incorrect components installed. This sets when the airbag module isn't seeing the components that the vehicle was built with. This is most likely directly related to the seats being replaced.

Did you try to install seats without airbags; what were the seats from?

The seats they swapped with was from an ST1 trim level and the car is an ST3 trim level. Is there a way to program the RCM to think it’s an ST1? The cloth seats have side airbags as well.

To program the system to work with different components the sales codes would have to be added to the VIN and then configuration in the vehicle updated. Your dealer would need to do this if they are willing to. It isn't lawful to modify an airbag system without an order due to medical necessity.

Yea local dealer wants to replace the RCM not under warranty for $1024. Any idea what modules in the seats should be swapped back?

The entire system would need to be swapped back to the correct components to have a functional airbag system and turn the lights off, assuming damage wasn't done to the module.

Do you possibly have an as built for a*****st3 just so I can verify the RCM is currently where it is supposed to be?
That's confidential information that would need to be obtained from a dealer, if they were willing to release it.