Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1963 Ford Falcon, 177 cu in six engine. I just put…

Customer Question
I have a 1963...

I have a 1963 Ford Falcon, 177 cu in six engine. I just put a header on it today and there is a weird starting issue now. The car starts easily but when I release the key from the start position, the car dies. When I hold the key in the start position, it runs just fine. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, battery is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Falcon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked all wires and connections and they are good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm sure its not related to the header I put on

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
10/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** to assist you. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.

I read your notes and have a suggestion. When your cranking the engine the voltage goes through a different path to start the engine, it is spliced off the solenoid so as soon as you release the key the solenoid does not supply power to the engine to run . So in your case when the key is in the on position the engine is no longer receiving power to keep it running.This could be a couple of issues , the engine fuse blown, the ignition switch faulty and or the wiring .First check the fuses in the fuse block that controls the engine, then make sure the ignition switch is supplying power. Let me know what you find if you need further help.I will check back tomorrow as it is late here.