Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 ford e-150. 4.2 v6 engine. Been having issues with

Customer Question
vehicle stalling while driving and...
1999 ford e-150. 4.2 v6 engine. Been having issues with vehicle stalling while driving and not able to turn on afterwards. Seems to be running fine and then just stall and doesn't want to crank immediately afterwards, does come back on only after a break, break varies from several minutes to next day. Seems to run perfect during the morning and acts out in afternoon rush hour. Changed fuel filter, pressure regulator, oxygen sensors, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, air intake valve, spark plugs and wires, new coil... Still having same symptoms of intermittent shutoff. Van don't show check engine light, but is showing p0174 code on scanner.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This most likely means the fuel pump is failing which is common to work when cold then stop when warm at beginning stages. To verify this is the problem you would want to check fuel pressure key on engine off in morning then compare to no start, if pressure is lower during no start then replace the fuel pump. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Hi Dan,
I have checked van with a fuel pressure guage, shows key on engine off at 40psi, engine on at 30 psi, engine reving at 32psi, and key off is at 29psi. does this look like solid numbers to you? When you mean " no start", you meant test van after it stalls and doesn't want to start?Thanks,

That is correct, after it stalls check again and if it is lower which I expect it to be then replace the pump. Let me know how it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician