Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

84 Ford F150 inline 6 cylinder 4.9 four-wheel drive it has…

Customer Question
84 Ford F150 inline...

84 Ford F150 inline 6 cylinder 4.9 four-wheel drive it has granny gear I want to know what the transmission and transfer case is our going down the street it's like it's grinding in gear or slipping out of gear what could be the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

It's happened 3 times in one drive home

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Right now it's parked I don't know what to do if I can repair it myself I will but I might just buy a rebuilt transmission and transfer case if it's reasonable

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What the cause is what the repair cost would be how much a rebuilding kit would cost for both of the transfer case and transmission clutch Etc or the cost of a rebuilt remanufactured transmission and transfer case separately

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
10/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 8 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

a rebuilt trans will be expensive. around 1500 or more. the transfer case is about 600-800.

it would be more economical to look for a good used unit. I will check on that

a rebuild kit for the trans is pricy as well. all the bearings and syncros and any damaged gears could add up to close to the cost of the rebuilt trans.

a used unit is around 500-600 for the trans and around 500 for the transfer case.

go to www.car-part.com. great site for used parts

Roy

do you still need help???

please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. it is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

just following up to see if you got your parts???