Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 f250 7.3; when engine gets hot (after 15

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 f250 7.3; when engine gets hot (after 15 minutes) it will have a rough idle and sometimes stall.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Once hot+consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I. I replaced the EBP sensor which was gummed up bad.
ii. Also, replaced back flow tube, which had a large hole.
iii.
4. Truck runs smooth, until engine is hot.
5. Checked code and these came up: p0472, 1280
6. Replaced the fuel heater element.
7. New gas cap
8. Replaced transmission neutral switch

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good evening, hope you are doing well!!My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I am Ford master certified and specialized in diesel engines for awhile.Have you inspected the EGR valve? These are pretty notorious for getting dirty and plugging up. Once that happens it can cause drive ability issues once the engine warms up, since that is when the EGR valve works the most
I replaced the MAP and coolant temp sensor and truck still has same problem. It seems that when truck is hot and I'm driving down hill and or I break a little hard, engine will start running rough. What do you think?

Does it feel like it develops any boost issues when it starts to run rough?

If it continually has only done it when the truck is hot I would lean towards a fuel/oil pressure issue. It is possible that seals on the pumps are losing efficiency when they get hot, or the pumps themselves could be going out.

Next I would suggest to monitor oil/fuel pressure when the truck starts to run rough and we will go from there

Thanks

Not a problem! Let me know if you have any more questions, I will be available for the rest of the day!

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician