Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 ford ranger 2.3L getting a p0340 code have…

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 ford ranger 2.3L getting a p0340 code have replaced cam and crank sensor, wires and spark plugs, battery, starter motor and solenoid. Added extra ground to engine and body. All monitors will get ready for emission, but check engine light comes on over time and goes off after few days. has no syncro

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on solid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am I listed every things I did at first

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so you have a P0340 code, what do you mean you have no syncro? It runs fine, just the light comes on so you can pass inspection?

Hello?

It passes inspection, but the check engine light comes on.
It is not a V6, so it doesn't have a synchro on the crankshaft
It does not start rough, nor does it run bad. I just need the engine light to stop coming on

Ok since the sensor is new, that shouldnt be the problem, either there is an issue with the wiring for the sensor from the sensor to the pcm, the pcm itself or a possible issue with the camshaft where the sensor signal is generated. Attached is the pinpoint test for the code.

If you need more help or information for this concern please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Ok let me have my electrician look at this thanks

You are welcome, its a two wire circuit. Long as the wiring is good from the sensor to the PCM and the sensor is generating a signal, the only thing left would be a bad pcm, but I would probably run two new wires for the circuit first and then retest for codes.

Do you need more help with this concern?

That is good advice. Can you give me a little more detail on how I would run two new wires for the circuit?

Its pretty straight forward you would cut the wire harness at the sensor and at the pcm and run two new wires for the circuit for each wire, there are only two wires in the circuit as shown in the schematic. This eliminates the factory wiring in the original harness.

Hi, do you need more help?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans