Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Battery light is on 04 Ford Freestar. Tried several

Customer Question
alternators with no result, got...
Battery light is on 04 Ford Freestar. Tried several alternators with no result, got the last alternator prior to installation. Drove the van for over a week, alternator seems to be charging fine but the light is still on
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Where did you get the alternator from?

What is the battery voltage at with the engine at idle?

I tried 2 remanufactured ones from Autozone, then a remanufactured Bosch, now I put a used original Motorcraft but I got it tested prior to installing. Voltage immediately after installation was about 13.6 but I haven't measured it after

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Texting is fine, I think it works for me this way

Ok, no problem.

Does the battery light turn off if you disconnect the plug going into the back of the alternator and run the engine?

No, it stays on

Can you post your VIN?

2FTZA54684BB24683

Are there any codes stored in the computer?

P1633 PCM Keep Alive Memory Voltage Too Low

Thank you for that information.

As long as the power supply is good going into the PCM (including the fuse), this condition is caused by a faulty PCM.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Is there a way to check the PCM?

YES using a scanner.