Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Ford Mustang v6, Yes. No spark at the coil pack.

Customer Question
2003 Ford Mustang v6 ...

2003 Ford Mustang v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. No spark at the coil pack. Resistance across coil pack 3.5ohms on each bank. replaced crank angle sensor. ran for a few seconds and died. No spark at coil pack again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

Wont run at all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Does it go off while cranking?

Stand by...

ok

Check engine lamp is on with key on. Goes out while cranking.
Had a code for ignition signaling

Excellent!

Does the ignition coil have power with the key on and cranking?

Stand by..
I believe the power wire to be the blue wire, first wire from the left. That wire is hot with key on and while cranking.

Ok, does the ignition coil receive a ground signal on the other wires from the computer while cranking?

No ground from computer while cranking from remaining 3 pins. Now smelling fuel from exhaust so injector is firing.

Ok, this indicates a faulty PCM.

Power Control module? Main ECU or no?

YES sir. It is the Powertrain control module.

ok

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome. :)

Please dont forget to rate.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Do you have any further questions sir?

I;m not seeing a PCM for a 2003 Mustang 3.8. I am seeing a ICM on Rock Auto.

Is this auto or manual trans?

Are you located in California?

Or does this have California emissions?

in Indiana. ATM

The part number is *****

It has been discontinued.. but you may still be able to find it online.. or purchase it used from a junk yard.

I am glad I can help!

Please dont forget to rate.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

alright. whats this ignition control module on rock auto then?

The ignition control module fires the ignition coil. However, that is on a different ignition system set up.

YOUR VEHICLE DOES NOT USE AN IGNITION CONTROL MODULE.

Where is this PCM located?

Right kick panel.

okay, thanks

Your welcome.

Glad I can help.

Please dont forget to rate.

Where are you seeing it?

this is the model ECU I pulled from behind the right kick panel.

That's likely it.

totally different part number.
http://www.fs1inc.com/oem-engine-computer-programmed-flashed-2002-ford-mustang-2r3a-12a650-fb-pmp1.html

Right.

That listing has it as a PCM ECU ECM. That about covers it.

YES sir, that is correct. They are all the same thing.

Not discontinued and about half the cost.

I would go with that one then.

Do you have any further questions sir?

Nope. I ordered that part number.

EXCELLENT!!

I am glad I can help assist you with your vehicle.

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO RATE.

Have a great weekend!!

Next time you're in this kind of situation don't give them a part number. Make them pull the item to get the right number. That would have cost me $300 scrounging for what was likely the wrong part. They'll have to pull it anyway to replace it so just have them pull it for the number. Thanks for the diag.

Please listen, sir.

First, I cannot pull the correct part number without the VIN. Period. Not even a parts specialist can do that accurately. I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic. But you don't quite know that yet.

You call the dealer and the parts guy will ask you for the VIN BEFORE looking up ANYTHING on your vehicle.

In addition, I am NOT a parts jockey. I DONT SPECIALIZE IN PARTS. The number I provided you is most likely an outdated or superseded part number. I PROVIDED YOU WITH THIS NUMBER TO HELP YOU. That is what I have based on the information you gave me. The number you found is likely the UPDATED one.

In addition, the computer is likely discontinued like I mentioned before. It is NO LONGER MADE. You found it at a computer rebuilder. They rebuild the computer and now are reselling it.

What should be done is to call your local dealership using your VIN to get the CORRECT PART NUMBER for the PCM. Then locate it online. Again, I am not a parts jockey and I DONT EVEN HAVE YOUR VIN.

I specialize in diagnosing vehicles.. which we did. That was your ORIGINAL question when you came to the site. So I did, in fact, hold up my end of the bargain.

Your welcome.

You didn't state this before giving me the part number. You simple gave me the part number which will lead people to believe that's the correct number. DON'T DO THAT!! Next time disclose what you just sent stated before giving them a number.

Actually, that IS THE CORRECT PART number until they came out with the new one. And, it will work if one is available.

Next time I will be sure to let the customer know they NEED TO CONTACT THE DEALER to get the MOST UPDATED PART NUMBER FOR THEIR VEHICLE.

Again, your welcome.

I see what you're doing. You are using this site to diagnose and fix your vehicle for as little as possible. Using my knowledge and experience to get by without paying for a diagnosis at a shop. I see this all of the time.

You are confident enough in my information enough to spend $142 bucks on the PCM (as you already ordered it), but not willing to rate my answer in order to give me credit for assisting you. I understand sir. I will be here if you have any further questions.

Well of course that's what I'm doing. What do you think this site it for? I'll rate you once your diagnosis is confirmed as correct. Why would I rate you before knowing it was correct? I appreciate your effort and you diagnosis. Fortunately there's not much to the ignition system on this car. I already eliminated the crank sensor. That leaves the harness and, ECU and the coil pack. If you're right, you have nothing to worry about. I'll rate your diagnostic after the new PCM is in which will be next week.

This site is not to be used in place of a FULL BLOWN DIAGNOSES ON YOUR VEHICLE. All of that is in the click-through agreement you "agreed" to by the time you got to this page.

Many customers think they can get a diagnosis by coming to this site. Although that may be true in some cases, the fact is there is a lot of possible causes and LOTS of tests that should be run before any parts are replaced. In addition, as experts here on the site, we not in front of the vehicle running the tests. We rely on the information you provide to us in order to point you in the right direction. Which most of the time, is not fully accurate.

It boils down to if you "appreciate" my assistance.

If you would like to get further testing or diagnostic information to help pinpoint the problem further, I suggest we speak on the phone. In fact, I would like that. I can send over a phone call offer for as little as $5 bucks.