Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

DTC code B1342 Airbag. 2000 Ford Focus. Attempting to. I…

Customer Question
DTC code B1342 Airbag ...

DTC code B1342 Airbag

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the battery fully charged?

YEs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 Ford Focus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Attempting to. I have the airbag light on solid. Went to O'reilly and got the DTC code scanner. It said B1342

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried to clear the code but it wouldn't let me

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 10 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, I am Randall This is what is called a "hard code" The code refers to the restrain control module. It is the airbag module under the center consol. It is a failure items, not real common but common enough, I wish it was easier but it is not. You have to change it out but,, it has to be programmed, They sell them on Ebay cheap , I think in the couple hundred range new, I am not in parts. You can google restraint module for many different things to review. There is a test that we do, its noted below.

The module being bad will not hurt anything except airbags so you will not be left on side of the road

here is what we do to test

Access the Restraint Control Module (RCM) (also called the Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor) under the front of the center console.

2. At connector C424 (11 terminal connector) check pin 8 Green/Orange (GN/OG) wire for battery voltage with key on from fuse F60 7.5A in the Central Junction Box (CJB) (interior fuse panel). Be sure the battery voltage is over 11 V. Also check pin 9 Black/Red (BK/RD) wire for a good ground. Check the mounting of the RCM to make sure it's properly mounted to the floor.

3. If the power and ground and the RCM mounting are all OK but the B1342 is the only code and it's a hard fault, suspect a faulty RCM. If the RCM is replaced, it will need to be configured once installed with a factory scanner or pass-through device.

It looks like the picture in the link I provided