Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

There is a bad ground on the brake and reverse lights that

is bypassed on a 2004...
There is a bad ground on the brake and reverse lights that is bypassed on a 2004 Ford Taurus Wagon. Can you help trace it?
9/29/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

the 2 grounds for that is at the base of left A pillar and the other is right side of luggage compartment behind liner

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have a wiring diagram?

just worded locations, if there is a break you can easily follow the ground until you find the fault

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed and cleaned the ground bolt and wire connector near the right kick panel under the dash board on another day.
It did not help. I spliced a wire from the black ground at the right reverse light connector to the lift gate latch bolt on the deck that is working for now. Where is the other ground bolt?

the a pillar should be the driver side kick panel, pull that and there should be a ground somewhere, so have you confirmed with a volt meter your ground is bad at the light sockets? is that why your checking these?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is what I did and said to another technician, The ground at the left kick panel was cleaned by scraping the attach bolt head, the washer and wire connector with a utility knife, then tightening the bolt well. The reverse lights are still dim. There are no visible pinches in the gate harness. When putting a volt meter,set DCV 20, at the battery posts, it reads 12.4. When put between
the pink wire side of the light connector and the lift gate latch bolt on the deck, it reads 11.85, but when put
inline on the connector, it reads 11.83. When putting a bulb back into the left connector and the meter inline on the right connector, it reads 4.75, and the left light is brighter. It does the same on both connectors using the same process. Using a test light indicates the same, bright and dim.We fixed it with the ground wire to the gate latch bolt, but not harness ground.

so the bulbs are ok now? and everything is working right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right, I would like to fix the wiring harness ground so I can remove the wire from the connector to the latch bolt.

if your grounding where the main comes in there is wire rubbing somewhere and you will just have to follow the harness and pinpoint where the fault is, I would start at the bulb end. Thats just what any mechanic would have to do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will take a look, a wiring diagram would help if you could find one. I will have to contact you another day with the results. Do I reply here, click send and you will received it on another day?

yes you can access this from your e mail and it will bring you right back to the conversation, and the only ony diagram I have just shows the component and a line to a worded description which dosent help with a location

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician