Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Lariat F150. Stalls at low RPM. %.4 Triton.

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Lariat F150. Stalls at low RPM. %.4 Triton. Have read hundreds of complaints. So many that it should have been a recall. But there are thousands of these engines on the road today. What is the fix??

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Engine light is on and off. No codes come up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well my mech doesnt know. Starts right back up and runs fine for awhile. GOOGLE it!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There must be an easy fix for this prob. because It runs great when it wants too.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

/does the issue occur more when engine, cold, warmed up or does not matter?

This is a very common problem with the Triton. Google it. Gonna reset the idle memory next after Throttle body cleaning. Figured a Ford Mech would know about this 5 .4 Prob..I'm knew to this truck and wasnt aware of this engine prob. Cant believe you don't know.
No. I'm already spending money for an answer I don't think Ill get.
You've never heard of this???
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

The most common issue is a faulty idle contol valve built inside the throttle body. have you tested that?

how do you know that? Ive been online for weeks researching what it is cus thousands of people have this issue and not once did that come up. Tell me where this Valve is.
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

The idle contol valve is built inside the throttle body assembly. To test the valve the data change will need to to be checked when the idle is fluctuating. If it goes below specifications the thhrottle body will need replacement.

Read many responses about replacing the throttle body for many $$s. And didnt solve the prob. Replacing a throttle body is easy. You don't think a good cleaning and relearn would work?
Or do you know for sure that those valves were defective?
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

I have ran into the similar issue multiple times and most of the time the solution is throttle body replace and relearn. However i will recommend to make sure there are no vacuum leaks present and fuel pressure is within specificatons.

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Hello, just checking if any updates?