Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My husband passed away 20 yrs ago. Our 1988 Mustang has been…

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away 20 yrs ago. Our 1988 Mustang has been sitting for the last 10 years. Before it stopped running it was needing a main seal replaced, a .99 cent part I was told but they would have to pull the entire engine to get to it. Alternative - always make sure there is oil in it. I was told that it would need to have the engine rebuilt to be as good as it once was or can be but I am now in Springfield, MO. and that was by my trusted mechanic in KC. How do I find someone to rebuild the engine when I'm new to an area?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

HA! It sat in our garage when I became disabled and my son went to college so it hasn't been running or had oil changed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I'm disabled, but because it was my husbands and mine I want to give it to my son. It's an 88 5.0 GT Convertible. I want to repair it and drive it until he comes home.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was told 10 yrs ago to rebuild the engine would be around $3,000. A teen in the neighborhood that works on cars said it would cost me $15K! I'm sure the price is higher than the $3K but I'm hoping not to go 5 x that amount.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is your old engine locked up?