Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Working on a 91 Ford Ranger and I don't have spark I have…

Customer Question
Working on a 91...

Working on a 91 Ford Ranger and I don't have spark I have tested everything and replace every thing could it be the computor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and replaced all that is required for spark but the comnputor

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** will be able to help you with your no spark. What engine size do you have?
2.3 double spark plugs

What have you replaced so far to try and get spark?

no thanks just want to know if the computor has gone bad i have replaced every thing but that

I need to know what you have replaced and if the computer has been scanned for codes?

everything that has to do with spark and yes i have checked for codes and get differnet codes each time

I need to know what you have installed to do with spark and what codes you get when scanned?

ICM coil packs crank sensor plugs and wires and getting the correct power to all but not getting spark something is not telling the coils to fire what codes do i need to look for
it has ob 1 system

Check to see if you get power to red wire at coils with key on and also power when you go to crank position? You can also check the same red wire at the injectors.

If you get codes to throttle position sensor then try to disconnect sensor and see if it gets spark?

It would help a lot if you give me the codes you get?

it doesn't have injectors it is a 91 and is injected though the carb if that sounds right

Are you saying you do not have 4 fuel injectors mounted in the intake manifold near cylinder head? They stopped using carburetors in the 1980's.

i will get back to you

I am opting out so another expert can help you. My information does not show a throttle body injection or carburetor for the truck year and engine size.

ok i'm back I get 11 witch is system pass and a 122 witch is low voltage and unpluged it still no spark
voltage is 4.97

If you only get 4.7 volts at the connector then you either have a low battery or the computer relay is not getting or sending enough voltage to coils. It will not start with less than 9 volts.