Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2007 Ford 500 LTD has 40,000 miles on it and the air

Customer Question
My 2007 Ford 500...

My 2007 Ford 500 LTD has 40,000 miles on it and the air conditioner is not working when car not moving. Local rip off mechanic charged $200 for diagnostics and said nothing wrong. Went back and was told I need new compressor for $1200 without even looking at the car again. Has there been a recall? Is there something other than the compressor that we should be looking at?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

They said they added a very small amount; called it insignificant amount.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LTD yourself? What have you tried so far?

No; I'm a 70 yr. old female with no mechanical skills. All I have tried is the diagnostic testing and the squirt of freon.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This is actually a very common problem with a failing compressor on these vehicles. To test raise the engine RPM to 2000, and note the system pressures and the duct temperature. If the low side drops closer to normal, the high side rises closer to normal, and the duct temperatures get cooler, this is typically a failing compressor. Ford recommends replacement of the expansion valve and receiver drier, along with a complete system flush whenever the compressor is replaced. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.