Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 8 mo old Ford Edge with the 4 cyl Ecoboost engine.

Customer Question
I have a 8...

I have a 8 mo old Ford Edge with the 4 cyl Ecoboost engine. I traded a 2013 Edge with a regular 6 cyl engine. I don't care for the turbo delay. I have an opportunity to trade my new (current) for the identical model with the 6 cyl engine. This will probably be my last new car (i'm about to turn 73 years old.) Is the ecoboost a keeper or should I cut my losses and trade for a 6 cyl?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

About 15K. It is a SEL, nicely equipped automatic with navigation. I am basically throwing away 8 months of $500 a month payments to get the 6 and a red one and the 6 cyl. I would like to use problems with the ecoboost to justify the trade.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Edge?

2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

There is nothing wrong with it but the turbo lag. I don't like it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
9/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 7 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

I prefer the V6 over the 4 cylinder turbo. The fuel mileage is a little better in the 4 cylinder, but the V6 has more torque and power to accelerate into highway traffic. Oil changes and regular maintenance on the 4 cylinder needs to be more regimental than the V6 because of the turbo. Other than that, they are basically the same vehicle.

A. Penland
A. Penland