Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 expedition won't hold a charge. Fixing myself....I…

Customer Question
My 2003 expedition won't...

My 2003 expedition won't hold a charge

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself....I changed bith the battery and alternator because was told both were bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes had both checked and told both were bad. When I put in the new battery it ran good and the vehicle sat for 8 hours a

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And it won't start so then replaced the alternator and boost it off and ran good. turned it off and tried to restart then nothing again

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 11 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

First step is to find the short draining it ,as long as our battery is good and holding the 12 volt charge

Can you run The test below

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the all the modules in the vehicle.
can you get that done and post the results back here and we can continue trouble shooting, the scan will narrow it down for us .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat