Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 ford f350 oil leaks when going in reverese. No but they…

Customer Question
1997 ford f350 oil...

1997 ford f350 oil leaks when going in reverese

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No but they are not dry roted or anything they all look good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just started

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am fixing it my self

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 11 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what is leaking, engine oil, transmission fluid? Fuel? Is this a gas or truck engine? Automatic transmission?

leaking engine oil. also its a 7.3l turbo. auto tranny

Ok is it a minor leak or is it pouring out oil, is it from the front or rear area of the engine? Is it loaded up with oil leaking in the engine valley and pouring out of the bellhousing area of the trans when moving?

minor leak. it also is loaded with 16k lbs right now. its from the rear of the engine near the tranny. its not over loaded with oil no. it only leaks when going in reverse

Ok you will need to isolate the oil leak, it could be leaking out of the rear main engine seal or have a leak higher up in the engine compartment. Take a good look in the engine valley in between the two cylinder heads and check for a fuel/oil leak. The fuel filter housing can leak fuel into the middle of the engine and cause oil and fuel to leak down the back of the engine. You can add a tracer oil dye to the engine oil and use a black light to trace the oil leak. If its not in the engine valley, the transmission will need to be removed to inspect the rear main seal

if you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.