Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The fuel regulator is having problems on my 2004 ford wind…

The fuel regulator is...

The fuel regulator is having problems on my 2004 ford wind star. Is there something I can check? It was recently fixed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts then dies. Yes using lots of gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Ford?

Wind star van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything. I was wondering if I can do this myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was fixed recently by. Mechanic be ijust bought this vehicle.

9/26/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What type of problem are you having with the fuel pressure regulator?

Thank you

Is the regulator leaking on your?

I would prefer chat. And, to receive the steps by email.
I have to actually try what is suggested later

Chat is fine, What type of problem are you having with the fuel pressure regulator?

Is the regulator leaking on your?

The engine turns over stays running for about 10 seconds then the engine dies. Nothing is leaking. No weird sounds or smells
After the mechanic fixed the fuel regulator, the van ran for about four hours. Then stalled at 40 mph

So when it stall have you connected a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and measured the actual fuel pressure when the problem is occurring?

Unless the fuel pressure regulator is leaking then its not likely the problem. You need to start with checking the fuel pressure when the engine stalls.

No but I can do that. What shoul the pressure be?
Does it sound like it might be another problem if it's not leaking?

This sounds to me like you have a failing fuel pump which is very common. On a properly working fuel pump you need to see 32 to 45 PSI. Anything less then 32 PSI would indicate you have a failing fuel pump, Your Windstar has known issue with the furl pumps heating up and when this happens it causes the fuel to foam and the fuel pressure to drop and then the engine stalls. Usually after it has set for a little while the pressure will return and the engine will start and run again.

Ok great thank you

Your very welcome and if you need the replacement steps for the pump I can send them as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Can you email me the steps to replace the fuel pump?
Where do I rate the chat?
I see it

Yes, see them in the link below. Be sure check your fuel pressure first.

To relieve the fuel pressure when you replace it remove the fuse #5 located in the under hood fuse panel and then start the Van and let it die.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x93rrw5yzve4d8g/Fuel%20pump%20Sep%2026.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e556c6xoc5rvig/fuel%20tank%20Sep%2026.pdf?dl=0