Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 ford fiesta won't turn over after engine swap. Haven't…

Customer Question
2012 ford fiesta won't...

2012 ford fiesta won't turn over after engine swap

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

Haven't checked for spark because the starter will not engage. I can hear the relay "click" in the glovebox

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I installed a used motor. Replaced battery, starter, appropriate gaskets and seals

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car is an automatic and the used engine was from a manual

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Does your vehicle have key or push button start?

push start.
I also swapped the crank position sensor from the original engine to the donor. That was one thing I read about. The battery shorted out and damaged the starter, both have since been replaced. Could this have damaged the ecm/pcm? I have also checked all of the fuses in the engine bay and glove box.

Under the hood remove the starter inhibitor relay from the fuse box. Is pin 3 always powered, is pin 1 powered when trying to start?

That is correct

Thanks, ***** ***** to start is pin 2 a ground?

With the ignition in the run position if you jump a wire briefly from pin 3 to 5 does it crank and does it start?

The starter clicks but doesn't turn over

At the starter are 2 wires. ONe always powered which is large and one small one that is powered when trying to start.What is the voltage on these wires?