Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2008 Ford Edge overheats while idling. Have already replace

the cooling fans and the...
2008 Ford Edge overheats while idling. Have already replace the cooling fans and the Thermostat. Still overheats at idle. Does not over heat on the highway. The heater works, as well as the ac.
9/26/2017
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

overheating can mean a few things and or have a few scenarios,

do you actually get bubbling coolant out of the reservoir?

how long does the engine have to run before you notice symptoms?

Thanks Lou, Yes I get bubbling when it overheats. It usually idles about 10/15 minutes before starting to overheat. It doesnt do it while moving. And I've replaced the cooling fans, which weren't working and Thermostat, just to be on the safe side.
Dave

ok Dave thanks, ***** ***** fans EVER come on?

what happens with the fans when you turn the ac on max?

the fans come on. It overheats, while idling with or without the ac on max.

ok, are you near the car now?

No, but I can be

ok, sure, yes, with the coolant tank cap on squeeze the hoses and see if coolant or air is heard near the tank.

also how many miles are on the car?

80,000 Miles.When I squeezed the radiator hose the coolant would come up in the reservoir. When I let go it went back down.

right i am concerned about the cap, if the cap is not holding pressure the coolant can boil prematurely.

we also have issue with the waterpump impeller coming loose.

what we have done is got clear tubing from menards and fittings and added the tubing to the system to check coolant flow.

or remove the top hose and crank the engine. the problem is you can get partial flow and it seems fine but its really not.

or use a temp gun to tell if coolant is flowing through the radiator by comparing the hoses .

In the past I've loosened the cap , slightly, and heard it release the pressure.
Meaning its holding pressure.

ok so the cap is ok.

next we need to verify the coolant flow.

your saying to replace one of the radiator hoses with a clear one to see if the fluid is flowing?

essentially yes. or remove the upper and start the engine. I dont remember if these hoses snap in or use a clamp.

Lou

The upper uses a compression clamp. Ill remove it and see if the engine is pumping water/coolant. I've also got a Temp gun and can check for cold spots. Thanks Lou
Also you mentioned a loose Water Pump Impeller. Would that make it overheat all the time, or just at idle?

well if the impeller is loose or broken or rotted you can get low flow because there is not much space for the impeller to go in the housing.

did your new fans come with the control module as well?

the impeller is on the inside of the pump, to move water?Yes, the new fans came with the module and I've watched them cycle on and off.

ok, so then it is sounding like a waterpump issue to me. you arent getting the proper flow until higher rpm.

Thanks Lou I appreciate your help. That's the end of my questions.Dave

OK Dave, just let me know if you need more help or what not and I will do what I can to help.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician