AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2011 Ford Focus intermittent starting issues. The charging

2011 Ford Focus intermittent starting issues
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes. The charging system works fine. The engine turns over but will not fire.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I've had a diagnostic run at a local mechanic. He was unable to replicate the issue. No codes have been thrown and there is no check engine light. Spark plugs were checked and are functioning.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The starter activates every time the key is turned and the engine will turn over. But randomly it will not start. I'm thinking maybe an electrical issue with the ignition switch or possibly the throttle plate flooding the engine???

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Have you checked spark and fuel when the engine does not start?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks for the assistance. Since my local mechanic couldn't recreate the issue I'm having a hard time tracking down a potential solution.

Got it!

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Unfortunately I am at work and unable to talk right now. It would be preferable if we could do this over chat.

Sounds good no problem.

You will need to see if the engine is missing spark or fuel when this no start condition occurs. Is this issue ignition or fuel related? That's what we need to determine. If the engine does not have fuel, maybe we have a fuel pump or fuel pump circuit issue. If the engine does not have spark, then we could have an ignition system failure (crankshaft position sensor)

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
As far as I can tell I am getting spark and fuel. When the issue occurs: I will rotate the ignition forward to the start position, the engine will turn over (it seems to be slower than normal). I can remove my hand off of the key and it will continue to try and crank. I will rotate the key back to the off position, then retry and it will start up properly. This is random so far and I can't pin down any common items to link it to anything.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
On occasion when I attempt to restart the engine, it will take longer to start (engine turning over longer) than usual. But it will start up within 2-3 seconds.

If the engine is hard starting (cranking longer than normal to start), then either the engine is missing spark or the engine is missing fuel preventing it from starting. The only other possible cause would be an air/fuel ratio condition.. which could be caused by a faulty engine coolant temp sensor or another sensor.

If you did not check fuel pressure and spark when this occurs then that will be your next step.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Understood. Can I get a good check of fuel from the valve on the fuel rail on the manifold?

If there is a fuel pressure test port, yes you can.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Good to go. I'll make that my next step.Thanks for the assistance.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Will do. Thank you very much.

Your welcome!