Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I ran the battery dead with key on and after two starts it…

Customer Question
I ran the battery...

I ran the battery dead with key on and after two starts it cranks but wont fire. I put an old coil on it and it fired once and ran but not after I shut it off. No power from coil

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It only fired once after we changed the coil. I put another one on from a old truck and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1991 f150 302

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had my brother over and he tested key switch and fuse box all good. We have power to the coil but not from coil to distributer. It acts the same as when I was changing the thermostat and had the connector off the ignition module

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there any safety switch that could go bad if it goes into reverse while traveling down the road.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 8 months ago
Reggie Whiddon

Hi im Reggie thanks for using JustAnswer. Put my years of experience and training to work for you

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 8 months ago

Here is what i would try first. Disconnect both negative and battery cables and clamp them to each other making sure they make good contact. Make sure that you have fully charged battery and after cables have been clamped together for a few minutes hook up the positive first then the negative and attempt to start. Hopefully and most likely the module or ecm is in logic lock it happens when a module is powered down abnormally or when a voltage spike occurs. Follow that procedure to the tee and see if it starts if not report back and we will start diagnostics

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 8 months ago

Good morning have you tried the procedure on your truck

I did what you said n no luck. What size socket holds the ignition module on the distributor. For some reason the distributor will not come up. Any ideas I didn't get radical but usually the come right out.
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes sir i would get some real good carb cleaner or brake cleaner or high grade gas and keep soaking the base of the distributor and keep trying to turn side to side usually the carbon is what makes them stick. As for the module i beleive that is a t20 torx bit they sale a special little wrench that fits it at parts store for pretty cheap.

I changed the module last night without taking off the distributor. I made a special socket 5.5 mm to fit the nut. I broke the old module off and replaced it and it fired right up.
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

awesome that was a great idea. I am glad you got it going. If you feel that i helped you or answered your question kindly give me a positive rating

Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon