Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need a specific answer, not a general answer to this

Customer Question
I need a specific...

I need a specific answer, not a general answer to this problem. Only a mechanic with intimate knowledge of the electrical system of a 1992 Ford Explorer can answer it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

History: had Aamco transmissions in Salt Lake City rebuild my automatic transmission which began pulking ATF. I only wanted the leak fixed, but the transmission was rebuilt. When I got it back the low range wouldn't engage. Took it back and was told that the electric motor to shift into low range must be defective. I installed a new one. Still doesn't work, in fact it won't even shift into high range 4WD now. That was 3 months ago. Two days ago the Tachometer, volt meter, and gas gauge stopped working? I replaced every fuse in the vehicle, even the ones which I know aren't related, and checked every wiring connection inside and under the vehicle. Could find nothing wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

260+ thousands of miles. Engine was rebuilt at about 80,000. With the exception of the rear crankshaft seal leaking a small amount of oil, the engine has no problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was once a line mechanic myself for a few years many decades ago, so I know how to do basic checks, but this problem has me preplexed?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago
eric remington

soclusterunds like the cluser or connections have you ck connections at cluster